Monday, February 27, 2006

Don't get me started: mind-boggling cell phone behavior...

So SFGate.com has a 'Two-Cents' edition, for people to list mind-boggling cell phone behavior they have witnessed... or (more likely) subjected to. Interesting.

I don't know where to start with morons on their cell phones. At least once a day I see it or have to defend myself from it. Today it was the jerk in the new Mercedes who decided that talking on the phone was more important than using his turn signal and cut me off.

(I have no qualms about racing and getting in front of such drivers. I simply do not want to be behind them when they cause an accident.)

Or last week having to listen to someone yak away on their cell while I'm in a stall in the same public restroom. I think that is the epitome of rude. I'd be super pissed if I figured out the person I was on the phone with was in the bathroom talking to me.

I turned down an IT job in part because the supervisor who was interviewing me decided to both take a call and then take and respond to email on his Treo. The call came first. But when he stopped to tap out an email, I stopped talking. He actually had the gall to wave me on and say, 'Don't mind me, go on.' Yeah... sure, asshole.

I'm always in credulous when those sorts of things happen in interviews. I mean, yeah, job seekers are usually/often on the begging end of things. But all employers still have to compete for the best talent... and you don't do that by being rude or making people feel as if they don't matter.

Actually, I have one befuddlement about people using cell phones: why do you have to talk so loud? Cell phone microphones are designed and made to pick up voice sounds near them, you don't need to speak loudly. In fact, in most environments you can actually talk more softly than you usually would.

Yet, I get on Caltrain or BART and people practically shout. It's really amazing.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home