Sunday, January 18, 2009

This is a tragedy:

SFGate.com: Deadly BART brawl - officer shoots rider, 22

Awful. Terrible. It looks like that cop executed that man. And he should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law on it.

But the victim has to bear some of the responsibility, too. When a cop tells you to cuff up, to stop resisting, that you are under arrest, you comply. Period. No discussion, just do it.

Why? Because he has a gun and he is a human being and isn't perfect. This is a tragic example that cops can be dipshits and make terrible decisions. But when a cop makes a bad decision, the results can be fatal.

I dunno. I have spent my whole life trying to avoid encountering the police where I might be considered a suspect in something bad. Why? Because only bad things can happen. What good can come of having to deal with the police where they look at you suspiciously?

So I've tried to avoid such situations. I don't start fights, I walk away from assholes. I don't steal. I don't fuck around with people. The few times that I have encountered the police in negative situations, I don't disobey them. I do what they say.

And I've never been shot.

That man, he didn't deserve to die. He didn't deserve to be shot. But he helped create the situation himself. Had he just obeyed the officer, he'd be alive, that is the truth.

Instead, he's dead and a cop is going to go to jail. If there is anything good that comes of this, it is that someone who shouldn't be a cop isn't going to be one any longer. But that's about it.

When a cop tells you to stop, you stop. If you don't, it might cost you your life.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home