Friday, March 03, 2006

So I had to have someone's car towed tonight....

I knew that at some point in my illustrious apartment managing career that I'd have to do it. And it scares the crap out of me.

It's a typical scenario: someone parked his SUV in a tenant's assigned spot. She catches up to me and rightfully wants something done. I do my due diligence: go around to EACH tenant and see if they own it or know who does. Not a peep. Call the cops, have the plate run to see it is it stolen and it isn't. Call my property management bosses, leave voicemails for everyone because... well, it's Friday night, no one's going to be on-line.

So I call a tow company and they come right out. While they are hooking up the SUV, I'm thinking, man, I hope the owner doesn't come back right now. I've seen people get REALLY pissy about their vehicle getting towed. Like fighting mad.

Then I think, uh... actually if they ARE going to come back maybe it SHOULD be now because there is one more guy here on my side (the wrecker driver) than later on. Fuck...

So now I'm typing here at my desk, in my upstairs apartment, half-waiting for a thump on my door, followed by a, 'Hey, why the FUCK did you tow my car?'

But it's one of those things where I'm just someone who was just doing his job. It isn't my fault that someone acts really presumptuous and parks on what is clearly private property and in what is clearly someone else's parking space.

If it were me, I'd be really pissed, too. But I'd be really pissed only at myself for doing something so stupid. I would never blame someone for just doing his job. But I don't think most people (men anyway) are like me in that aspect. People get REALLY weird about their cars, even if they act like morons with them.

This sucks. I don't think it's me, I think most people in my position would feel like I do right now: on pins-and-needles, waiting for someone to come back for the car and just waiting to get it all over with. I shouldn't feel fear right or anxiety now, that isn't right. But yet, I do. I made sure my front door was double-locked tonight, that I keep the noise down so maybe whomever comes looking for me, they won't think I'm home and leave me alone.

Not right, man. Why should anyone who is just doing his or her job feel this way because others are selfish and/or dumbasses?

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home