Monday, March 13, 2006

The bullshit with and about bicyclists...


So for the whatever time in my life, a dipshit motorist didn't bother to look, pulled away from the curb, and cut me off, almost running me over.

He eventually saw me in his rear-view mirror, pulled over, rolled down his window, and shouted an apology as I passed. I didn't say anything back, I was still too pissed about seeing my life flash before my eyes again because someone can't be bothered to act as if someone else's life depends on him to drive attentively. Because, gee, it actually does.

Truth: too few motorists act like bicyclists or even pedestrians exist. Is it intentional? I hope not. But it's very true: too many drivers act like it's only other drivers they need to pay attention for and to. Believe me, bicyclists can't act like that. Just think about it: how many times do bicyclists collide with cars? Not anywhere near as often as cars colliding with bicyclists. Why? Because you HAVE to look out for cars when you're cycling. Motorists don't see it that way.

Is that criminal? It should be if someone else is seriously injured because of it. A car is a potential weapon, there is simply no argument about that. You injure someone with a weapon, intentional or not, that can be considered a crime. Intent doesn't mean shit, which is where a lot of people screw up when they talk about criminal law: you don't have to intend hurt or malice to be guilty of a crime.

In any case, it's bullshit how seldom motorists are prosecuted for injuring or killing a bicyclist or pedestrian.

Truth: too many bicyclists act like traffic laws don't apply to them. Hey, asshole, guess what: they do. Stop signs mean stop, red lights mean stop, if there is a bike lane it means you use the bike lane. I don't know where this arrogance most bicyclists have comes from, but it's just as bullshit as motorists who ignore bicyclists. This attitude is so pervasive, though, that I am the only bicyclist I know who actually stops at all red lights and stop signs. I've had other bicyclists curse me because I stopped at a stop light and they almost crawled up my back wheel. Fuck you, buddy. Get a brain, exercise some maturity, and obey traffic laws like everyone else.

Whatever. I just hope my days don't end because some dipshit couldn't be bothered to look in his mirrors.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home